Bird Online Jobs
Who are we?
First Marine Solutions (FMS) are a service provider to the local and international renewables and oil & gas sectors specialising in the engineering, design, procurement, installation, and maintenance of mooring systems for floating platforms. FMS also specialise in the planning and undertaking of marine activities related to floating platforms such as towage, vessel loadouts, marine assurance, and assisting with location planning and consent.
Due to continued business success in the offshore renewables sector, FMS have positions available for Graduate Naval Architects within our Glasgow office. Candidates should be motivated, enthusiastic and academically strong.
Activities underway and recently completed by the Renewables R&D department include:
Delivery of expert consultancy looking at novel moorings for floating wind turbines for the ORE Catapult, ScotWind and INTOG site developers.
Delivery of expert consultancy in designing mooring and deployment systems for wave energy converters in “challenging” locations.
Design and build and offshore testing of wireless remote monitoring systems.
What you will do?
This list does not represent an exhaustive list but indicates the main responsibilities the post holder will be required to undertake:
* Assist the principal engineer to design Mooring Solutions and perform engineering analyses.
* Implement technical or non-technical research and development activities relating to floating wind and traditional energy projects in the UK and internationally.
* Assist with the preparation of client proposals and tendering processes including any business development activities are required.
* Assist to identify opportunities to develop the FMS business objectives.
* Liaise with internal and external parties to contribute to debates on relevant issues and promote institutional learning from them.
* Support the team to increase the company’s involvement with existing clients across all areas of the business.
* Support the senior engineer/engineer(s) to ensure the technical requirements of all activities are managed and delivered in accordance with business requirements.
* Maintain awareness of operational and commercial risk relating to the engineering function, ensuring any risks are raised in a timely manner.
* Maintain technical competence ensuring on going continuous personal development (CPD).
* Assist the engineering team to consult and negotiate with clients regarding work specifications.
* Attend FMS or clients’ sites on or offshore as and when required.
* Assist with any other duties as required.
Your Qualifications & Experience
* First degree (BEng or equivalent at 2:1) in naval architecture, marine or a related engineering discipline.
* Previous experience in a similar role e.g., through summer work or interning.
* Previous experience operating hydrodynamic/structural analysis software such as Orcaflax, Solidworks/Inventor.
* Effective/Competence MS Office suit user.
* Masters degree (MEng/MSc)
* Chartered or working towards professional registration.
* Proficient in general engineering tools and software with some programming skills (e.g., MATLAB/Python/MathCAD).
* Experience working within an industrial or offshore environment (e.g. a workshop, boat etc)
* Holds relevant certifications e.g. offshore or for site work.
* Holds full UK driving licence.
Who are you?
* Solid grasp of engineering fundamentals and ability to apply to solve problems.
* A pro-active self-starter who can operate both individually and as a part of a team
* Effective verbal and written communication skills.
* Detailed orientated.
* Actively maintain own competence professional/personal development.
* Ability to think creatively and negotiate with individuals/groups internally and externally.
* Able to extend sound engineering judgement to develop rigorous solutions to new and varied problems.
First Tech Group companies include First Marine Solutions, First Integrated Solutions, First Subsea, First Competence, Mooring Systems based in Aberdeen, Montrose, Dundee, Glasgow, Lancaster, and London