Bird Online Jobs
Our client works in the offshore, ports and shipping and oil and gas industry and is looking to expand their design team based in Aberdeen with a Mechanical Design Engineer.
The company supports the ports and shipping, military, manufacturing and oil and gas industries. They are thriving after winning a several new contracts globally and are looking to expand massively over the next 18 months.
The Mechanical Design Engineer is responsible for assisting in the undertaking of design and draughting projects in support of the business on a global basis from UK Design Office.
The Mechanical Design Engineer will manage interesting projects from cradle to grave or collaborate on projects with colleagues, delegate tasks and check for quality and consistency. The Mechanical Design Engineer will also have meetings with clients, listen to project specifications and suggest approaches which translate into suitable design solutions.
* Production of working roughouts, conceptual design output and detailed design outputs such as fabrication drawings, general arrangements, repair schemes, lifting plan sketches.
* Preparation of Made to Order packages
* Actively contribute to drawing office systems and procedural development
* Self-checking of drawings and data and checking of colleague design outputs
* Preparation of intermediate engineering design calculations with a view to further develop your engineering competence
* Carrying design scopes through to completion within set budgets and maintain budget monitoring over design scope duration
* Carrying design scopes through to completion within set project planned delivery dates
* Contribution to design scope quotations within design of systems by including estimates of draughting budgets
* Handling of design scope quotations through all stages from initial quoting stage through to invoicing.
* Carrying out site and offshore dimensional surveys and preparing detailed survey reports in various locations (Global function if required)
Management and Leadership:
* Use interpersonal skills to work co–operatively with colleagues, peers, internal and external partners, working pro–actively across organisational boundaries, sharing information, new knowledge, innovation, and growth ideas
* Drive and deliver high standards and results. Ability to review priorities and update plans accordingly
* Sees the connection between resource needs of different activities or priorities and develops systems to improve synergies
* Analyses and challenges the use of resources against business objectives
* Incorporate existing operational management systems from within the group whilst utilizing own experience and skills to develop systems according to local marketplace requirement.
* Aligning behaviour with priorities and company business goals to present a consistent positive image of the business.
* In relation to specific future issues, the Mechanical Design Engineer should demonstrate ability to act quickly and decisively to prevent actions which may mean a significant decrease in output
* Understands the medium to long-term implications of potential problems and acts to develop plans to minimise effects
* Anticipates and prepares for future obstacles that may be less obvious to others
* Scans the marketplace to identify future changes that may impact on own area and acts creatively to benefit from them
* Thinks broadly about better aligning action to benefit the customer expectation
Skills and Experience:
* A good understanding with current and relevant experience of the offshore crane industry
* Industry standard apprenticeship completion as a minimum
* Minimum of 3 years’ experience in Upstream Industry, ideally in position affiliated with crane maintenance and mechanical handling
* Experience in establishing, and working with, Quality Management Systems such as ISO 9001
* Practical skills and knowledge of past and modern crane industry processes and practices
* An ability to create a workplace environment and culture that allows all employees to develop and excel in their jobs
* Exceptional customer facing and interpersonal skills to enable difficult situations to be overcome successfully
* An ability to negotiate effectively together with excellent numeracy and literacy skills
* Mechanical Design Engineer should be proficient in, or have good working knowledge of:
– CAD Package programs such as AutoCAD and Autodesk Inventor
– Microsoft office programs
– Accounting Software
– SAP systems
– Product information management systems / databases
Benefits and remuneration:
– A very competitive salary
– Additional per diem while deployed on international work
– International travel
– BUPA Oil and Gas healthcare benefits
– Training, medical and ticket costs covered by the company
Other positions which may be relevant to this position also include CAD Designer, Design engineer, Design Draughtsperson, Senior Design Engineer, CAD Draughtsman, CAD Draughtswoman.
If this position is of interest, apply now and one of the team will contact you regarding this position